AP Testing: What do the students think?

Photo from Google

Photo from Google

Caedyn Lipovsky, News and Editorial Editor

As a result of the coronavirus pandemic, the College Board created an online AP exam for students to take. AP exams are taken to earn college credit, and to potentially decrease the amount of money one is paying to attend college. Typically the tests ranged from two to three hours and take place at school, but because of quarantine College Board created an online exam that could be taken in the comfort of a students’ home. Each exam was set to take place starting in the middle of May and would take 45 minutes, plus the additional five minutes to submit, to take the actual exam. However, parents, teachers, and students all had a variety of concerns regarding the exam. The grading of the tests will be the same, based on a 1 to 5 scale, and the scores are set out to be released sometime in July. 

Although many saw the test as a great adjustment to the regular testing, a petition made by educators had some critiques. On insidehighered.com, the petition stated that, “‘With the extra stress associated with this year’s tests, many students fear they will not be able to complete the tests in the allotted time frames. We expect this to cause widespread anxiety and panic from minute one.’” However, this wasn’t even the greatest issue that students and educators were worried about. 

As many already know, there are a vast amount of inequities in the American education system. One of the serious concerns during the exams was access to the internet and electronics. During the exams that took place in mid-May, many students encountered technical issues, especially with submission. As provided by CNN, “With 45 seconds left in her exam, 11th-grader Maggie McLauchlin of Jacksonville, Florida, took a video of what appears to be a black screen as she tried to upload her exam answers as instructed by The College Board.” Nearly 10,000 students across the country ran into technology problems while taking their exams, as stated by Business Insider. To somewhat fix this problem, the College Board provided everyone with an email for submission after the tests if they encountered technical issues. But, many students who lost time during questions had to request a retest in early June.