Online Learning and Hybrid Learning are More Similar than you Think

While the third wave of Covid-19 is taking its toll on the U.S., many Americans are apprehensive of what fully virtual learning will look like for students. As a student who has been able to experience both Hybrid and Online learning, here are some of the main differences that I have noticed about each system:

Hybrid:

1. Being a student both in school and at home can be challenging when you are not staying on top of assignments. Keeping track of work for each class, especially having both in class and online assignments, is harder than it was a year ago. I found that utilizing my assignment book was the most helpful in keeping track of work
  2. In school, you are able to socialize with people more than you are at home. However, because of social distancing requirements, people are less inclined to talk to each other, in or outside of class. 
  3. Learning materials and concepts in person is far more efficient in school. Being able to ask your teachers questions is a lot easier in person, and learning face to face helps to better retain information

Online:

1. Online schedules are not much different than in person, however it is more up to the responsibility of the individual to keep a consistent schedule. You must be responsible for keeping track of any meetings and assignments.
  2. Socialization is a challenge online, but it does make for less distractions from work. Completing tasks is much easier to do at home, making your school day a lot shorter. 
  3. Some classes that are more challenging are harder to keep up with virtually. When new concepts are harder to understand, it is fundamental to reach out to your teachers, schedule meetings, or speak up during a meeting. Maintaining communication with your teachers is more difficult online, but not impossible. 
  4. Many online classes have to supplement the lack of in-person learning through extra practice, or extra work. This contributes to making the school day a little more busy, and with live meetings becoming more predominant, there seems to be increasingly less time to get this work done. 

While there are a few major differences between the two, transitioning from Hybrid Learning to Online learning was not terribly difficult. Online learning requires more responsibility for the individual student to be successful, and a strong work ethic should be maintained and nurtured by students, teachers, and parents at home.