Parkland Becomes the “Museum”

Flyer from the play

Flyer from the play "Museum"

Rafael Perez, Staff

About the play

“Museum,” written by Tina Howe, will premiere October the 4th at 7:30pm, Oct. 5th at 3:00pm and 7:30pm, and final showing will be Oct. 6th at 3:00pm. It’s a true ensemble piece, which means most people come and go and so there are no established leads. 

In the play,“Museum,” the show depicts the art gallery’s exhibit “The Broken Silence.” It is the final day in which three American artists’ are displayed in a major museum of Modern art. Throughout the day, many people walk through the show: art lovers, students, artists, and museum guards. The play is about the movement and the feelings of these people.This play is not about any one character, so every character is important, it’s about the experience of going through a Museum.

Overview of “Museum”

The show is an impressive look at the culture within an art museum. It’s all about how people observe and react to art. For example, the same piece of artwork might be funny to someone, serious, emotional, or even unpleasant to another person. 

The play time is approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes. This show will be the first major production done in the black box in Parkland High School, rather than the main stage. It’s a different way to watch the play because its a three sided area. It surrounds three sides of the stage.

The cost for an adult ticket is $11 and students and seniors can go for $9. Purchase your tickets here: https://www.showtix4u.com/events/15799

About the Director 

Mr. Stutz is the Director of Visual and Performing Arts for the school district. He oversees all music, art, dance, and theater productions. In the theater department, he directs a fall play every year for Parkland High School. Mr.Stutz was inspired to direct the play “Museum” and said that he “ wanted to do a play in the smaller space and the subject matter in “Museum” lent itself to that type of production”. Mr. Anonia is the producer of the play and Mrs. Elisabeth Smith is in charge of the costumes.