Filling out the Common App is one of the most important processes when applying to college, as it makes up the bulk of a student's college application.
Filling out the Common App is one of the most important processes when applying to college, as it makes up the bulk of a student’s college application.
Wikimedia commons
Categories:

Breaking Down the Common App

What do students need to know about the Common App?

The 2024-2025 school year has started, but for seniors, something else has just begun: the college application process. Seniors have started applying to colleges through the Common App which opened on August first. However, many students may not be familiar with the Common App yet. Here is an overview of what seniors and underclassmen need to know so they know what to expect.

My Colleges

• Students have the option to select which colleges they wish to apply to this year. Once they choose their colleges, they have to answer questions relating to their path of study at that college, along with any supplemental essays that school requires. Additionally, many colleges require letters of recommendation. Most colleges require a letter of recommendation from your guidance counselor, but many also require (or encourage) getting ones from teachers or extracurricular advisors as well.

Common App

• The bulk of one’s college application comes from the Common App. The details filled out in this section will be sent to every college to which the student applies. There are 7 different categories that applicants have to fill out. We will break them down one by one.

1. Profile
  • Students need to fill out basic information such as their name, address, contact information, demographics, language, nationality, and whether they have a fee waiver or not.

2. Family

• Students will need to fill out information about the education and employment of their parents and siblings.

3. Education

• Students will need to share their educational history, any academic awards received, and their collegiate education plans.

4. Testing

• Students have the option to share any standardized testing scores and AP Test Scores if they so desire.

5. Activities

• Students can list up to ten activities that they participated in during high school, providing a 150-character description of their involvement in said activity, what grades they participated in the activity, how many hours per week and weeks per year they were involved, and any leadership positions that they may have held within that activity.

6. Writing

• The most notorious part of the college application process is the college essay. While the Common App does provide six different prompts for students to pick between, there is an option for students to come up with their own custom prompts. The essay has to be under 650 words.

7. Courses & Grades

• Students must submit the end-of-year grades they have earned throughout high school.

While the college application process can be overwhelming, being aware of what has to get down beforehand can give you time to prepare. Given that the Common App is where almost all of the required material for your college application will go, it is important to begin familiarizing yourself with it as soon as possible.

Donate to The Trumpet
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Parkland High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting and printing costs.