• Class of 2027 Apparel Sale Happening Now • SpongeBob Musical Tickets on Sale Now: www.showtix4u.com • Parkland Prom 5/4/24 @ SteelStacks
The Student News Site of Parkland High School

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

First Annual Trumpet Super Bowl Awards

Mahomes, Hurts, and more are inaugural recipients.
Getty Images
Both Hurts (1) and Mahomes (15), showed out in this year’s Super Bowl

On February 12th, 2023, the Kansas City Chiefs defeated the Philadelphia Eagles 38-35 in Super Bowl LVIII. The second-highest scoring Super Bowl in NFL history was marred by controversy over a dubious penalty at the end of the game. However, several players on both teams had award-worthy performances.

Super Bowl MVP: Patrick Mahomes

While Mahomes only passed for 182 yards, his impact on the game was undeniable. He led the Chiefs down the field on all four possessions in the second half for three touchdowns and the game-winning field goal. His 26 yard run on the last drive of the game while injured will go down as one the greatest clutch moments in NFL History.

Scapegoat Award: James Bradberry

On 3rd and 8 in the red zone, James Bradberry got called for a hold on JuJu Smith-Schuster. This penalty all but sealed the victory for the Chiefs. This call has become subject to debate as to whether the penalty should have been called. Bradberry did not egregiously hold Smith-Schuster, nor did that hold affect the outcome of the play. In the final two minutes of the Super Bowl, when similar plays had not been called penalties all game, that is not a call the referee should have made.

Gave It Their All Award: Jalen Hurts

Jalen Hurts broke several Super Bowl records in this game;

• Most points scored, single game: 20 points
  • Most rushing touchdowns in a game: 3 touchdowns
  • Most rushing yards, game, quarterback: 70 yards
  • Most rushing attempts, game, quarterback: 15 attempts
  • First quarterback in Super Bowl History with 300+ passing yards, 60+ rushing yards, and 4+ total touchdowns in a game

Hurts played brilliantly in this game. It’s a shame that he was not able to get another chance to lead the Eagles down the field.

Vintage Performance Award: JuJu Smith-Schuster

In the second half, it seemed that every other play was a JuJu Smith-Schuster catch. While he only finished with 7 catches for 53 yards, it seemed to be much more in real time. On another note, Smith-Schuster’s performance has declined so much since his 2019 season that this award is going to the 26-year old.

There Goes Your Job Award: Michael Clay and Jonathan Gannon

Clay, the Eagles Special Teams Coordinator, is responsible for his team allowing Kadarius Toney to have the longest punt return in NFL history, a 65-yard return that nearly iced the game for the Chiefs. Gannon, the Eagles defensive coordinator, who has inexplicably been receiving serious head coaching overtures for the past two seasons, failed to adjust his defense during halftime. The Eagles were one of the greatest pass rushing teams in NFL history, but failed to record a single sack in the Super Bowl. 

Mama’s Champion Award: Travis Kelce

Two of the best players on the field are also siblings. Chiefs Superstar Tight End Travis Kelce and Eagles Superstar Center Jason Kelce are brothers. Both had one Super Bowl ring before this game, but Travis’s 6 catches for 81 yards and 1 touchdown are key reasons for why he now has one more ring than his brother.

Timmy Smith Award: Kadarius Toney

This award is named after Timmy Smith, a backup running back who unexpectedly set the Super Bowl rushing record in Super Bowl XXII with 204 yards, which was 78 more yards than his regular season rushing total. This year’s winner is Kadarius Toney, who’s 65-yard punt return in the Super Bowl was longer than his career regular season punt return yardage.

Redemption Award: Harrison Butker

Butker, who had missed a 42-yard field goal earlier in the game, nailed a 27-yard field goal to win Super Bowl LVIII. 

Elder’s Ring Award: Carlos Dunlap

Dunlap, who has been an elite edge rusher for several years, has never gotten the accolades to make the Hall of Fame despite Hall of Fame caliber statistics. However, after 13 seasons, he has finally reached the top of the mountain, winning a Super Bowl ring.

Alternative Sport Award: Slip and Slide

The field conditions were atrocious this Super Bowl. Players repeatedly had trouble keeping their balance during the game.

Lehigh Valley Proud Award: Kyzir White

Kyzir White, an Eagles linebacker, is an Emmaus alum. He was credited with four tackles. 

Emotional Award: Nick Sirianni

This will likely be the only time in NFL history that a head coach crying during the National Anthem will be replayed during the mid-quarter highlights.

Super Bowl Names

To cap off the article, here are the ten best names of this year’s Super Bowl

1. Prince Tega Wanogho:  He has been crowned as a Super Bowl champion. Now, do the Kansas City Royals want him to help them make a World Series push?
  2. Jalen Hurts: He may not have won, but usually it is Jalen Hurts that is inflicting pain on his opponents.
  3. Creed Humphrey: The most offensive-lineman name to ever exist.
  4. Skyy Moore: The rookie sent the Chiefs sky high into immortality with his clutch touchdown.
  5. Boston Scott: The second most founding-father name in NFL history (Sam Adams is the first).
  6. Darius Slay: He slays the production of opposing receivers.
  7. Leo Chenal: His play helped the Chiefs put the Lombardi Trophy in the bag.
  8. Trey Sermon: The Eagles could have used his prayers.
  9. Jack Stoll: The most perfect name for a defensive back, but he’s a tight end.
  10. Nick Bolton: He was boltin’ all over the field with 9 tackles and a fumble recovery touchdown.