• Class of 2027 Apparel Sale Happening Now • SpongeBob Musical Tickets on Sale Now: www.showtix4u.com • Parkland Prom 5/4/24 @ SteelStacks
The Student News Site of Parkland High School

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

A government shutdown might be around the corner

The United States government is facing another government shutdown on October 1st. This crisis is reminiscent of another potential government shutdown, that was threatened earlier this year due to issues concerning the debt ceiling.  This time, though, the problem is a little different.

The matter that Congress is facing at this time is the issue of government funding. Congress had not been able to agree on a funding plan that President Biden would also agree to sign into law. There has been a small group of House Republicans that have been holding out, making it difficult for House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R) to agree on a deal (cnbc.com). 

So what would happen if this imminent shutdown actually does happen? Federal workers and U.S. military workers will face delayed paychecks and office shutdowns. For non-federal workers, regular government services could be delayed like clinical trials or getting passports. The financial market could also be affected by the shutdown.

There is a chance that the worst of these effects can be avoided; if Congress passes a continuing resolution or CR, this could give the government a temporary extension, giving them more time to figure out a way to go forward.

Overall, there is no way to know what’s going to happen until October 1st is reached. While the threat of a shutdown can be scary and uncertain the United States has survived them before, and Congress typically finds a way to avoid it.