• Class of 2027 Apparel Sale Happening Now • SpongeBob Musical Tickets on Sale Now: www.showtix4u.com • Parkland Prom 5/4/24 @ SteelStacks
The Student News Site of Parkland High School

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

New Saturday Night Live episodes don’t disappoint

Roberto Vivancos
New York City

The writers strike is over, which means that everyone’s favorite weekend stretch comedy show is back in session. Saturday Night Live (SNL) returned for its 49th season in October, and has come out with three memorable episodes that prove that when writers get paid, they can afford to be funny. 

Pete Davidson kicked off the season as the host, with rapper Ice Spice accompanying him as the musical guest. Being a former cast member, Davidson gave an expert performance, most notably his musical parody of “I’m Just Pete” a la Ryan Gosling’s hit song of the summer. In the lyrics, he commented on his infamous dating life, tattooed physique, and his internet beef with a certain rapper (Davidson legally couldn’t name the artist, so The Trumpet has no right to assume. However, this rapper repeatedly referred to Davidon as Skeet, if that gives any hints). 

In the second episode, Bad Bunny both hosted and performed as the musical guest. The Puerto Rican singer brought along a few surprising guest stars, like SNL veteran Pedro Pascal, pop icon Lady Gaga, and Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger. Pascal made cameos in both Bunny’s monologue and in his reappraisal of the role as a protective hispanic mother. Jagger made a guest appearance as a nun in the sketch ‘Convent Meeting.’ Gaga, a long time favorite of Bunny’s, introduced his musical performance, where he sang his hits ‘Un Preview’ and ‘Monaco’. 

The third episode of this season featured stand-up comedian Nate Bargatze and the band Foo Fighters as a musical guest. This Halloween episode featured hilarious sketches, including SAG-AFTRA safe costumes, George Washington’s perspective on today’s politics, and a vision of what a classic Hallmark movie would look like as a horror flick. David Grohl, notable drummer from the aforementioned band, had his share of the spotlight, making several appearances throughout the night. Grohl and his bandmates also dressed as the Wizard of Oz characters, keeping up with the episode’s spooky spirit. 

The next SNL episode will feature returning host Timothee Chalamet and indie group Boygenius as the musical guest. Fan’s will remember Chalamet’s iconic sketches of ‘Rap Roundtable’ and ‘Tiny Horse’, and are sure to get even more quotable and halloween-costume-able performances to come. Hopefully, Boygenius member Phoebe Bridgers will smash her guitar live on stage, a callback to her SNL performance from her solo career in 2021. Whatever the next episode holds, fans of the show are sure to have a hilarious viewing.