• Class of 2027 Apparel Sale Happening Now • SpongeBob Musical Tickets on Sale Now: www.showtix4u.com • Parkland Prom 5/4/24 @ SteelStacks
The Student News Site of Parkland High School

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Parkland’s Thanksgiving Traditions

How do Parkland students celebrate Thanksgiving?
Unsplash
A delicious holiday tradition is always a delight for Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving is one of America’s most famous holidays and one of its few unique ones. Only two countries in the world celebrate Thanksgiving; the United States and Liberia. Liberia was founded by freed slaves, which explains why they celebrate Thanksgiving (and why their capital is named after James Monroe). Thanksgiving became a federal holiday in 1863, but it had been celebrated for decades before that. Over time things such as turkey, pumpkin pie, mashed potatoes, full stomachs, Black Friday, Macy’s, and the Detroit Lions losing have become synonymous with Thanksgiving. However, every family has their own unique Thanksgiving traditions, and Parkland families are no exception.

Some Thanksgiving traditions of Parkland students are based on the various foods one can eat to satisfy their appetites during Thanksgiving. “We eat a lot of food that we don’t typically eat, like duck, and drink beer,” reveals Joseph Peng (12). Phoenux Romera said (12), “We do a chicken instead of a turkey because a turkey’s too big for just four people.”

Other Thanksgiving traditions are centered around the people and places where Thanksgiving is celebrated. “My family usually goes to my aunt and uncle’s house, and we have a big Thanksgiving lunch,” said Anika Vedantham (11). Inara Niaz (11) answered, “We usually do Friendsgiving with family friends.”

These Thanksgiving traditions celebrated by Parkland students only represent a small fraction of all of the possible traditions and ways to celebrate the holiday. While eating different foods, spending time with the people you love, and giving thanks to others are popular Thanksgiving traditions, every family has their own unique flair that makes it special. Those of you reading this article have your own Thanksgiving traditions as well, and The Trumpet would love for you to tell us your family’s unique Thanksgiving traditions in the comments below.