• Class of 2027 Apparel Sale Happening Now • SpongeBob Musical Tickets on Sale Now: www.showtix4u.com • Parkland Prom 5/4/24 @ SteelStacks
The Student News Site of Parkland High School

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

Rolling the dice

NHL’s gambling controversy
Creative Commons (Jenn G)
Shane Pinto set for a faceoff in a game against the Seattle Kraken.

October was a month of controversy in the NHL after the Ottawa Senators forward Shane Pinto became the first player in 80 years to be suspended for violating the NHL’s rules on gambling and sports betting. Pinto has been suspended 41 games, half of an NHL season, for his actions. The details of the suspension and the violation have been mostly kept secret from the public as part of the plea deal made with Pinto and the league. Pinto has accepted responsibility and punishment for his actions and will return from the suspension in early 2024 as a restricted free agent. The suspension of Pinto has created mixed reactions and controversy from fans and league members especially after the NHL heavily advertised gambling and sports betting organizations.

The NHL was alerted of unusual activity on a sports betting account that supposedly belonged to Pinto. Upon further investigation, it was determined that Pinto had violated the league’s rules on players engaging in sports betting, though no evidence was found that Pinto wagered on NHL games. Many fans have argued that he shouldn’t be suspended because his gambling activities were outside of the NHL. Fans have started to question the league’s decision to suspend Pinto as sports betting is currently one of the most advertised activities in the NHL. Sports betting organizations have been seen advertised on the ice, in commercials, and sponsored on players’ helmets. Due to the confusion and controversy caused by the incident, the NHL plans to provide proper information and education on the league’s rules on gambling to its players from now on. It is unknown if the Ottawa Senators will sign Pinto again once the suspension is over but the team has released statements showing their support for their former player. The NHL and hockey community hope this incident won’t happen again and that all players can have a career uninterrupted with another suspension such as Pinto’s.