• Class of 2027 Apparel Sale Happening Now • SpongeBob Musical Tickets on Sale Now: www.showtix4u.com • Parkland Prom 5/4/24 @ SteelStacks
The Student News Site of Parkland High School

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

Recent tragedy pushes for neck guard regulation in hockey

It is widely known that ice hockey is an incredibly dangerous sport. Protective equipment in hockey is still evolving and being improved as well as rules and regulations in order to make the sport safer. One piece of protective equipment that has been debated on for years has been neck protection. Some say it is crucial to protect players from serious injury and others say neck injuries are rare and neck protection is an unnecessary piece of equipment that only creates discomfort for the players wearing it. Currently, the need for neck protection to be mandated in hockey is more urgent than ever after 29 year-old ex-NHLer Adam Johnson lost his life in October 2023 from a neck laceration while playing for the Nottingham Panthers in Europe. Even before Johnson lost his life, neck protection was a major concern especially among parents as in 2022, 16 year-old Teddy Balkind lost his life from a neck laceration in a Connecticut high school hockey game.

The world has seen neck injuries in ice hockey at all levels, ranging from the professional level to youth hockey. Controversy over neck protection sparked in 1989 when Clint Malarchuk, a goaltender for the Buffalo Sabres, suffered a severe laceration on his neck from a skate blade after multiple players collided into the net. The accident nearly cost Malarchuk his life as his carotid artery was severed and his jugular vein was partially cut. It was fortunate that Malarchuk survived, but he would not be the only player to fall victim to this injury.  In 2008, the NHL saw another neck injury as Florida Panthers forward Richard Zednik suffered a neck laceration from a skate blade during a game, which he luckily survived.

After witnessing these incidents and many others, the hockey community has had enough and countless people are calling for change. The Canadian Junior Hockey League (CJHL) is a national organization that manages the ten major junior hockey leagues that are located in Canada and has issued the requirement for the players of all 122 teams to wear neck guards on ice. The NHL and NCAA have decided not to enforce the use of neck guards for players but have encouraged their players to wear them. Washington Capitals forward T.J. Oshie has stepped up and chosen to wear a neck guard when on the ice and has urged his teammates and other players in the league to follow.

The concern for neck protection in youth hockey has boomed since Adam Johnson’s accident, with parents and coaches across the world making the decision for their kids to wear neck guards. In the near future, Parkland’s ice hockey organization is planning on following the hockey community in mandating neck guards for all players at the youth, middle school, and varsity levels. Varsity head coach Rob Bilger gave his thoughts on if neck protection should be mandated in hockey. “For youth hockey, yes. Adults are adults, pros should make their own decisions, but I think when you’re under the age of 18, it should be mandated.” The hockey community is hoping neck injuries will come to an end and the safety of all players will be ensured. Many are hoping neck protection in hockey will become a mandatory piece of equipment in the coming years.

This article previously ran in the December print edition.