• Class of 2027 Apparel Sale Happening Now • SpongeBob Musical Tickets on Sale Now: www.showtix4u.com • Parkland Prom 5/4/24 @ SteelStacks
The Student News Site of Parkland High School

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

How to fix the 2023 school-wide epidemic

5 steps to help students gain motivation this school year
    Mika Baumeister
    A few tips for teens on how to avoid burn-out and stay motivated.

Burning out, or getting tired from all the work being given throughout the school year, is a disease that plagues waves of high schoolers. Most students come into the new school year with plenty of motivation to get through the first marking period. However, with all the homework and handfuls of quizzes they’re taking throughout the week, it’s difficult not to say YOLO and wing the next test. If you relate to this then you’re not alone as this is a widespread phenomenon. 71% of students reported having experienced teenage burnout at least once in their life with 57.3% of those students experiencing it multiple times (The Pinion.) This is often used to describe the feeling of wanting to give up, also called senioritis. Classic symptoms of ‘senioritis’ include cutting class, procrastination, a general lack of interest in studies, and a drop in grades. After rigorous research and trial and error, these five steps were perfectly crafted to help the student body stay motivated and cure that early onset ‘senioritis’.

Procrastination is the enemy

Procrastination is the art of avoiding or putting off tasks until the last minute or past the deadline. This is not in the cards for your school year, and the best way to stay clear is to control distractions. What can you change about your environment to improve your focus? What needs to be put out of reach until this task is done? Put your phone in a different room so you can avoid stopping mid-assignment to check your notifications. If you avoided all your assignments till that one day of the week when you crank out everything on the agenda, start small. Starting small can help you avoid getting discouraged and saying the staple phrase in every procrastinator’s life, “I’ll just do it later.” But don’t forget to be kind to yourself. Remember, it will get done, it is just a matter of time. Do your best to meet your deadlines, and celebrate your successes. But be realistic: the work won’t get done for you unless you put in the effort. 

Get organized

If you want to steer clear of any troubles this school year, the first thing you might want to do is figure out where you’re going. Reminders and agendas are gonna be your best friend. Set reminders of every assignment you have for that night. Also, make a checklist so when you check off each item, you get a little dopamine boost and feeling of accomplishment, and make a to-do list of everything you have to do that day so there are no surprises. Organization of your schedule is the key to success, but don’t forget Rome wasn’t built in a day. 

Take breaks 

How are you expected to get anything done if you have no motivation? Step back if you are cramming for a test and take a breather. Let what you’re learning sink in for a minute and give your brain a rest. Get up and move around, get a snack, or wash your face. If you’re getting frustrated and antsy, change where you’re working! Sometimes a change of scenery and vibe is all we need to get back to it.

Stop daydreaming

Your grades aren’t going to magically turn into As if you aren’t putting the work in. Instead of dreaming about what your school year could be like, MAKE IT HAPPEN! Stop holding off all your plans or telling yourself, “I’ll do better next time” because, guess what, it’s finally next time and you are going to do something about it right now.

Be kind to yourself 

What you say to yourself matters, and if you are constantly negative and putting yourself down, who is that helping? Encourage yourself every day and remind yourself that you are very capable of doing what you set your mind to. Remind yourself that you are trying your best. Acknowledge your previous accomplishments and how far you’ve come. Everyone you know is doing the best they can, so do not be harsh on yourself. You are going to have your great days and bad days, so do not let one bad day define your whole school year.

This article previously ran in the December print edition.