• Class of 2027 Apparel Sale Happening Now • SpongeBob Musical Tickets on Sale Now: www.showtix4u.com • Parkland Prom 5/4/24 @ SteelStacks
The Student News Site of Parkland High School

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Elyse Wenner 10.0 leap into her future

Parkland’s very own junior D1 commit

In the world of gymnastics, where grace meets power and discipline intertwines with passion, the opportunity to be part of a renowned collegiate program is a dream come true. After years of relentless training and competition, Parkland’s very own junior gymnast Elyse Wenner received the news she had been long waiting for: an offer of admission to the Louisiana State University (LSU) gymnastics program. As she’s been in gymnastics for as long as she could walk, it is no surprise Elyse is one of few juniors to be an LSU future gymnast on a full athletic scholarship!

LSU women’s gymnastics team represents the school in NCAA Division I women’s gymnastics. The team competes in the Southeastern Conference and is currently coached by Jay Clark, who is coaching in his fifth season. The Pete Maravich Assembly Center serves as the home arena for the team. With only three junior LSU gymnastics commits as of right now, Elyse earned a spot on their 2025 roster. 

Elyse’s gymnastics journey begins at just three years old. Currently, at Stallion Gym, Elyse hopes to gain from her 2025-2029 seasons at LSU the ability to become a more “disciplined and motivated person.” This opportunity would likely leave any aspiring gymnast in awe upon hearing the news of receiving a full scholarship from the prestigious gymnastics program ranked in the top 6. “When they called me and offered me a full scholarship me and my family had no words and I couldn’t be happier.” The countless hours of perfecting her skills, balancing on beams, soaring through the air, and defying gravity with every twist and turn finally paid off, and in the best way possible. Elyse’s favorite success was making it to the Nastia Liukin Cup for the second time, a prestigious national competition featuring Level 10 women’s artistic gymnasts who qualify for the event through the Nastia Liukin Cup Series (USA Gymnastics.)  The world cannot wait to see what Elyse accomplishes next. 

The story of this junior girl is just beginning. Earning a spot at LSU was a testament to the power of dreams, perseverance, and unyielding determination. As time is ticking, Elyse’s excitement soars and she “cannot wait to go to LSU in two years and help the team!” Her journey serves as an inspiration to all aspiring gymnasts who dare to dream big and work to achieve their goals. As she takes her first steps on campus as a part of the class of 2029, the gymnastics community and her peers cannot wait to see what kind of show this superstar leaves on the mats.

This article previously ran in the December print edition.