• Class of 2027 Apparel Sale Happening Now • SpongeBob Musical Tickets on Sale Now: www.showtix4u.com • Parkland Prom 5/4/24 @ SteelStacks
The Student News Site of Parkland High School

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Serving Victories

Parkland’s Girls Tennis Team Continues Their Run of Dominance
The Parkland Girls Tennis Team takes a team photo on Senior Night

Parkland High School’s Girls Tennis Team has reigned as the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference and as the PIAA District 11 champions for the past two seasons. According to Parklandsportshistory.com, they have netted a winning percentage of 94.9% over the last six seasons. Clearly, Parkland’s Girls Tennis Team has a recent history of dominance. However, only considering their tennis prowess over the past six years would be disrespectful to their illustrious history. Through their 50 seasons, they have achieved 18 conference championships, (including 7 straight from 2007-2008 to 2013-2014) and 12 district championships. Their last losing season came during the Carter Administration. It’s abundantly clear that Parkland has fielded exceptional girls tennis teams for decades, and even considering all of their past success, this year’s team may be the best.

This season, girls tennis has gotten off to a blazing hot start, winning their first 13 matches, with the only scare being a narrow 3-2 victory over Moravian Academy. Their success mainly relies on the backs of their underclassmen, as the team features only one senior (No. 3 singles Sophia Petrocelli) in their starting lineup. “The team has been doing great this season!” gushes junior Sophie Elijovich, Parkland’s No. 2 singles player. “We are undefeated so far. We’ve faced some really challenging opponents but come out on top each time!” The team’s No.1 singles player, sophomore Lexie Warsing, shares the same sentiment, remarking “The team’s performance this year is incredible. Our team chemistry is superior to every other team. We pick each other up and challenge one another to make us better.” Warsing, who has been bageling so frequently in her career that Panera can’t keep up, is currently ranked among the top 200 sophomore girl’s tennis players in the nation.  Given her success, it’s unsurprising that she has set her goals high. “My goal this season is to win singles districts and states,” reveals Warsing. 

The most impressive part about this team is not their success on the court, but their culture. “My favorite part about being on the team is the family atmosphere. We are all united and it’s helpful to know that the team has your back. Including coach!” enthuses Warsing. “My favorite part of being on the team is the people. We have an amazing coach who always supports us and I have amazing teammates who I love to spend time with! I’m so grateful to be around such awesome people and I really enjoy it!” exclaims Elijovich. This team-centric environment is further bolstered by the fact that, over the past two seasons, Coach Michael Hingston has included several more players than the amount that can typically compete rather than cut those players from the roster. 

The combination of starpower, rapport, and youth that defines the team will allow Parkland Girls Tennis to maintain their success for years to come. As for now, they continue on their quest to three-peat EPCs and Districts, and they may even earn a title that no Parkland tennis team has accomplished: state champions.