Parkland’s new all-time scoring leader

Nick Coval posing with a sign on the court after he broke the all-time scoring record.
@ParklandAthletics

Parkland Boys Basketball player Nick Coval has been dominating on the court since his freshman year. As soon as he started on varsity, expectations for Coval were high among Lehigh Valley fans, as his father, Scott Coval, led Whitehall High School to a State Championship in 1982 and scored 1,871 points in his high school career. Scott Coval is now the head Men’s Basketball Coach at DeSales University.  In the past three years, Coval has led Parkland to an EPC Championship and two District Championships. The playoffs are just starting, and the Trojans are looking to be crowned EPC and District champions once again. Coval’s individual success has been recognized numerous times, but he most notably received 6A All-State first team last season, 2022-2023 EPC MVP, and Lehigh Valley Live Boys Basketball Player of the Year. Along with these accolades, he recently etched his name in the record books by surpassing Sam Iorio’s all-time scoring record at Parkland. 

Accomplishing this milestone is very special for Coval, “It means a lot especially because I passed such a good player in Sam Iorio. I’ve played with a lot of special people and have played for some special coaches during my time here at Parkland, so to be able to share this accomplishment with them was awesome.” His love for the game and relentless work ethic has formed Coval into an unstoppable prolific scorer. “I love just being in the gym and being around the game, so the work becomes a lot easier for me because it’s what I love to do,” said Coval. 

Coval had to work obsessively to become the player he is today. He praised, “What you put in is what you get out, so the more dedication or work you put into whatever you do, the more successful you will be.” Basketball is a game of trial and error until near perfection. Coval has had to continuously try and try again in order to become the all-time scoring leader. 

In his next chapter, Coval will continue his academic and athletic career at Davidson University. “Whether it’s a professor, coach, teammate, or classmate, I know I’m going to be around people that are very smart and very good at what they do, so soaking up as much advice as I can from everyone at Davidson is what I’m looking forward to,” he stated. Coval is very excited to learn and compete at the next level. Davidson is where Stephen Curry played his collegiate basketball, so the program represents what it takes to become successful. Coval’s basketball journey has been incredible and he has learned leadership skills, teamwork, and work ethic. Surpassing the all-time scoring record is just another phenomenal piece in that spectacular journey. Coval acknowledged, “I’ve met some amazing people, traveled to some amazing places, and made lifelong bonds from basketball that I am extremely thankful for. I’ve learned countless life lessons that I will use for my entire life.”