The full crowd applauds Parklands Boys basketball team as they run onto the court.
The full crowd applauds Parkland’s Boy’s basketball team as they run onto the court.
Amina Chatouk

Parkland pep rally connects the school

On March 22nd Parkland High School held their first pep rally in two years. This time around, the school was celebrating the Parkland Boy’s Basketball Team and their achievement at reaching states. Despite the harrowing loss that occurred the next day, the school had fun celebrating and hyping up their student-athletes. 

Unlike the last time a pep rally occurred, this time around it took place during the last hour of the school day. The periods throughout the day were shortened, using a modified A schedule, in order to fit in the rally. Students were dismissed, a few groups at a time, to come to the main gym where the band then greeted them with a variety of tunes as the students walked in. The Parkland High School cheerleaders and dance team were also present working to pep up the crowd as everyone got organized. As the students filed in, many expressed their excitement at the impending event. “We haven’t had a pep rally since [2022] when girls volleyball made it to the state finals, and that was kind of COVID year, so this is our first real pep rally. And we get out of school, so I’m excited and hype!” said girl’s basketball player Lauren Ervin (12). 

Along with the excitement of boy’s basketball making it to states, many other sports teams earned recognition for their work this year during the rally. The girl’s wrestling team, both swim teams, the girl’s basketball team, and the boy’s volleyball team all got a chance to be cheered on as their names were called.

Teachers attempt to hype up the awaiting student crowd for the pep rally. (Amina Chatouk)

Afterwards, the boy’s basketball players were welcomed into the gym, all getting a chance in the spotlight, as they were called out one by one. The boys walked out to applause and shouts as the crowd cheered them on. The Trumpet got a chance to ask about the effects of the pep rally on star athlete Nick Coval (12), who walked out to the crowds cheering his name. “I just think that having everyone here and the support, it’s gonna get us excited.”

Boy’s basketball coach Mr. Olson was then given the chance to give a speech to his team, and the awaiting stands. The two team captains, Coval and Zaire Smaltz (12) also got the mic and thanked their fellow students and their continued support.

After the speeches, came some of the last performances of the day. The Parkland step team gave an exciting performance for the student body. Then, each of the 20 Mr. Parkland contestants came out to perform their iconic opening number, to the crowd’s delight. This was followed by a quick and inspiring performance from the cheer team. To promote the Student vs. Faculty basketball game that occurred later that day, 3 students and 3 teachers from each team competed in a face-off to see who could make more baskets. Unfortunately for the student body, they were crushed in the competition with a score of 1-12, with the singular student point coming from Emily Davis (12). To read more about the actual Student vs. Faculty game, head to The Trumpet’s website, phstrumpet.org.

The official Parkland Trojan shows off in order to pep up the crowd. (Amina Chatouk)

Finally, to end the rally, the beloved Parkland High School drumline performed for the pepped-up crowd, to really bring the afternoon to a close. Despite the loss that would occur the next day, the pep rally solidified the community of Parkland High School and showed that the students were already proud of their team, no matter what the end results might have been. 

This article previously ran in the April print edition.