Singing Belle, the cast of Beauty and the Beast Jr. tells the tale as old as time.
Singing “Belle,” the cast of Beauty and the Beast Jr. tells the tale as old as time.
Bill Basta

Civic Theatre astounds with newest musical

The Civic Theatre in Allentown put on their spring musical Beauty and the Beast Jr..

A tale as old as time was being told at the Civic Theatre in Allentown by a large cast of students who brought the story to life. Beauty and the Beast Jr. is a shortened version of the original Disney movie, that follows Belle as she falls in love with the grizzly Beast. The show was in the theater from April 4th through April 7th. 

The show was dazzling and chock full of fun music. Gaston, played by Dominick Dinzey and Lefou, played by young Connor Simmons, stole the show every time the pair was on stage. With Dinzey’s stellar acting and Simmons’ impeccable comedic timing, the dynamic duo brightened up the musical.

LeFou (Connor Simmons) and the other village people fawn over Gaston (Dominick Dinzey). (Bill Basta)

Another shining aspect of the show was the “Be Our Guest” number, which was full of a young, dancing ensemble all dressed as some type of silverware. With the resounding vocals of the main cast and the added chorus of the gleeful ensemble, it was a fun and vibrant number that had the audience grinning.

Lumiere (Joshua Bridges) leads the “Be Our Guest” number. (Bill Basta)

Parkland School District had over 20 students all the way from third graders to sophomores in high school. The Trumpet was able to reach out to Lila Furst (10), who played the principal role of Mrs. Potts, about her time at Civic Theatre and her experience in theatre as a whole. Furst has been involved with the Civic Theatre for ten years and has been in 12 of their productions. “I was brought into Civic and the theatre world thanks to my mom who worked, performed, and volunteered at Civic Theatre for 27 years. Civic is very much a second home to me and I was practically born there.” 

Furst has also become involved with the theatre department at Parkland during her time at the high school. She played Queen Iduna in the fall musical Frozen Jr. and blew the audience away with her acting abilities.

Her role as Mrs. Potts took her into a different kind of character. When talking about the preparation for the character Furst said, “Mrs. Potts is a very maternal character and my friends often point out that quality in me. It honestly took quite a bit of time to find my voice for Mrs. Potts as she is not a 15-year-old like myself. I eventually found the voice, physicality, and overall attitude of the character and stuck with it.”

Mrs. Potts (Lila Furst) and Chip (Cashton Morrow) after they are de-transformed at the end of the show. (Bill Basta)

Despite the work that had to be put into the character, Furst fully encapsulated the intelligence and level-headedness of the teapot. As Mrs. Potts, she also got the opportunity to sing one of the most iconic songs in Disney’s discography: “A Tale as Old as Time.” “I was very honored to sing this song in the biggest role I have had so far. My incredible voice teacher, Gail Grosman, has brought out a voice in me that nobody, including myself, ever knew I had. It took many lessons to perfect the song into a moment I will never forget performing,” said Furst about her experience with the number. “It is definitely one of my favorite things I have performed, and I am very proud of how far my voice has come.”

Mrs. Potts (Lila Furst) sings “Tale as Old as Time” to Belle (Alanna Henderson) and the Beast (Deven Ruiz). (Bill Basta)

Overall, the Civic Theatre in Allentown put on a great show, full of an extremely talented cast that has been able to learn and grow the Civic’s system. If you are interested in getting into theatre, Furst recommends taking a class at PHS or joining one of the many arts clubs the school offers. The Civic Theatre also offers classes to students of all ages. Furst had one final piece of advice for those interested in theatre, “You truly can start theatre at any part of your life. It is an incredible way to connect and form long-lasting relationships with people while creating a beautiful and fun art. I’m sure you’ll fall in love with it just as I have!”