Parkland High School’s SADD Club and National English Honor Society Give Back Before the Holidays

Photo courtesy of Jess Benninger. National English Honor Society Secretary Maddie Battista and peer editor Vaishnavi Joshi review an essay.

The Parkland High School Students Against Destructive Decisions Club recently presented a unique opportunity to promote a good cause. On December 8th, 2021, the PHS cafeteria was filled with laughter and joy as students participated in a bustling gingerbread house building competition following a collection of gifts. These weren’t just any gifts, though–all gifts donated are about $5 and provide teens who are struggling with a healthy activity to replace drug use. Donations will go to the Valley Youth House, an organization that provides shelter and necessities to kids and teens in the Lehigh Valley.

The National English Honor Society recently hosted its first essay editing workshop for juniors and seniors who are applying to college. Following a training session for peer editors who are a part of the honor society, students had the opportunity to have their essays reviewed by their very qualified peers for free. In addition to being a great resource for students who need assistance in the long, stressful process of applying to college, it was also an opportunity for tutors to practice their editing and sharpen their skills. Overall, this is an event that will definitely be continued in future years.