• Class of 2027 Apparel Sale Happening Now • SpongeBob Musical Tickets on Sale Now: www.showtix4u.com • Parkland Prom 5/4/24 @ SteelStacks
The Student News Site of Parkland High School

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

Shooting in Maine claims the lives of 18 people

The tragedy is considered the worst shooting of 2023

Lewiston, Maine was the location of a devastating tragedy after a mass shooting took the lives of 18 people and injured 13 others on the night of October 25th. The shooting took place at two locations that were near each other. The first shooting took place at a bowling alley and the second shooting occurred at a restaurant that was south of the bowling alley that same night. The shootings have been considered to be the worst shootings to have occurred in 2023. The shooter was identified as Robert Card, a 40-year-old man with a background of military service who had also been treated at a mental health facility for violent behavior and threats. A manhunt ensued after the shootings which lasted multiple days along with an order for local residents to stay indoors and remain vigilant.

On the evening of October 26th, the police were alerted of an individual shooting at a bowling alley named Just-in-Time Recreation. About 15 minutes later, police were alerted of another shooting at a restaurant four miles south of the bowling alley named Schemengees Bar and Grille. Maine State Police issued an order for all residents to shelter indoors following the shootings being reported. Later that night, a white SUV was determined to be connected to the shootings as well as Robert Card who was identified as a person of interest who was armed and dangerous. Following the information being released, a manhunt was ordered with police urging the public to report any information or sightings of Card.

Shelter in place orders and school cancellations in the local regions of Lewiston continued for the next two days as the manhunt progressed. On the evening of October 26th, a firearm was recovered from Card’s abandoned SUV and was believed to have been a firearm used in the shootings. The shelter in place order was ended on October 27th but Card was still considered armed and dangerous and the public was warned to be alert. That same evening, the manhunt concluded when law enforcement discovered Card’s body nearby a Libson recycling center where he was employed. His death was determined to have been a self-inflicted gunshot wound.