• Class of 2027 Apparel Sale Happening Now • SpongeBob Musical Tickets on Sale Now: www.showtix4u.com • Parkland Prom 5/4/24 @ SteelStacks
The Student News Site of Parkland High School

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Strikes strike again

How strike culture is affecting the nation
A+photo+taken+during+the+mid-2023+Hollywood+writers+strike+
Wikimedia Commons
A photo taken during the mid-2023 Hollywood writers strike

The year of 2023 has been rife with different strikes and walkouts, marking the sweep of a phenomenon deemed a “strike culture” across the nation. Between the strikes in Hollywood concerning the writers and actors, to the current autoworkers strike, there has been a multitude of different fields and sectors that have been affected. But why the sudden rise in strikes? Why has this “strike culture” swept the U.S, and will it slow down anytime soon? The answers might be simpler than you think. 

First of all, the actual number of total strikes is about the same as it has been it past years. The factor that is catching the headlines is the large number of people a part of each group that is striking. According to BBC, more than 150,000 autoworkers are on strike as well ask about 80,000 writers and actor are picketing in the height of the Hollywood strike. These mass strikes are considered uncommon since they are much more difficult to pull off due to the huge quantity of people that are need to participate in order for it to make an impact. 

Some of the main reasons for these mass strikes? Inflation continues to be a raging problem across the United States with many of these strikers being forced to live paycheck to paycheck before the strike. The consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic are also still being felt. With the pandemic bringing out problems such as covered healthcare, retirement, and health and safety, many workers feel the need to renegotiate a contract that hasn’t been touched since before the start of the pandemic, according to CNBC. 

Finally, a main reason these mass strikes have gained the traction they have is the growing conversation around them. When the Hollywood strike began, details of the strike and members of it were splashed across news headlines, along with an outpouring of support for the workers. Through this, other groups have gained enough confidence to fight for their own negotiations and get fairer contract terms. 

As many of these strikes continue to turn out successfully, the hype and support with them will continue to spread. The “strike culture” seems to be growing and it’s hard to see it ending anytime soon.

This article previously ran in the December print edition.