• Class of 2027 Apparel Sale Happening Now • SpongeBob Musical Tickets on Sale Now: www.showtix4u.com • Parkland Prom 5/4/24 @ SteelStacks
The Student News Site of Parkland High School

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

Can students prove they are Smarter than a Teacher?

Claire Puia
Inside the Smarter than a Teacher event at Parkland High School.

After nearly a decade of time has passed by, the Smarter than a Teacher event returns for its second year to PHS, this time bearing a different result. This event started back in 2013 and was held by the Spanish Honor Society and National Honor Society. Its purpose is for students to prove they know more than their teachers, while teachers show why they are the ones teaching

The Student Senate hosted the event this year and laid down some simple ground rules for the game. Teams consist of three to five students and each team must pay $5 to enter. Food and snacks were also provided for anyone who entered. The event was also free to watch for any students who did not want to compete. The rules are simple, the host will ask the teams random questions about anything from around the world. The teams answer to the best of their ability and whoever answers the most questions correctly moves on to the next round. The final was a game-deciding round between the final student team and the final teacher team. The winning team receives trophies as their prize.

Back in 2013, the students pulled off a surprising upset as they demolished the teachers in the final round of the competition. However this year, the result was much different. The teachers dominated throughout the entire competition not giving the students a chance to have the same result as last time. This should be a shock to no one as the teachers have more years to gather information, but you never know as the first event was an example of that.

Even with the teachers showing out and winning the top prize of first place, it was still a great experience for all who were involved. Students were able to hang out with their friends and have a great time competing against their own teachers. But there’s still one question left to answer: can the students take back their trophy in the next Smarter than a Teacher event?

This article previously ran in the April print edition.