• Class of 2027 Apparel Sale Happening Now • SpongeBob Musical Tickets on Sale Now: www.showtix4u.com • Parkland Prom 5/4/24 @ SteelStacks
The Student News Site of Parkland High School

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

Peeking into prom prep

Frank Mitman
Students at the Class of 2023 prom celebrating with their peers.

Prom is an iconic part of any high school student’s final years. Between the sparkly dresses, exciting lead up, or special someone who might be escorting you, there is an overabundance of things to look forward to. But as many people work to prepare themselves to dazzle, many hard workers around the school are spending that same time preparing the actual night (and after party) for those attendees. 

This year’s 2024 Parkland Prom will take place earlier than it has in recent years, falling in the first week of May, rather than the second, on May 4th. The theme, Under the Stars, was voted on by the senior class and is sure to blow the night away. Parkland only holds a senior class prom, due to the large class sizes, but every senior student is allowed to bring one plus-one. So if you are an underclassman looking to get into the big night, reach out to your senior friends now! 

The actual preparation for the party begins at least two months in advance. The student officers for the class of 2024, along with the class’s advisor Mrs. McHenry have meetings every few weeks to discuss different details of the prom, such as food, ticket prices, activities that will be available, and much more. 

This year ticket prices are looking to be a little higher than they have in the past. With inflation affecting everyone, and rising costs playing a part in the jump, tickets will be roughly $100 per person. If you have yet to pay your class dues, prom tickets will be even more expensive, so make sure to get those in before May. Ticket prices are decided by the class officers based on the prices of the needed food, decorations, and venue which are set by separate vendors. So, when you see the high price this year, remember that it is all to help fund this iconic night. 

Aside from just deciding on pricing, the 2024 class officers will also plan different activities for the event. This year, the group hopes to get a photo booth to help everyone memorialize the night and the friends they were with. 

Overall, with all the hard work and constant planning that is being put into this year’s prom, it is sure to be an unforgettable night. The process may be long, but in the end, the class of 2024 will see that it was totally worth it. 

The article previously ran in the April print edition.