Should flexible instruction stay?

Image of snow falling on a Winter day that would cause a FID day.
Pix4free

Do you like working from home? How about on your own hours? While this may sound great to most people, this does come with some problems. FID (Flexible Instruction Days) were introduced last year as a form of working at home during days that school is canceled. This has created some controversy as some people would prefer to attend school in person. Here are some of the pros and cons for both sides of the argument.  

Let’s start with the pros of working at home. Most students prefer to work at home primarily because of the flexibility of their schedules. Everybody enjoys getting a good night’s rest and waking up refreshed to start the school day. Another reason students prefer to work at home is the amount of time it takes to complete work. If you already understand the assignment, instead of listening to what can sometimes be a long, boring lecture about the topic. You are able to complete assignments in what can sometimes be under half the time. Finally, working from home allows for more time with family and friends that you wouldn’t have in school. 

Now let’s move on to the cons of working at home. One major con with working at home is struggling to understand the topic that you are learning. It can be hard to learn something new without someone there to explain it to you. This can be the case for many students causing them to become annoyed and stressed out. Another problem can be socialization. A huge part of being at school is socializing with your classmates and teachers. This communication can help students understand better what they are learning whether it’s from participating or just listening to your teacher talk about a subject that interests you.

This debate can be made with many other convincing arguments as well that can sway your opinion on the topic. While some may disagree, the overwhelming majority of students agree that the pros of FID outweigh the cons. With that being said, FID should be here to stay. Let The Trumpet know what you think by leaving a comment below!