• Class of 2027 Apparel Sale Happening Now • SpongeBob Musical Tickets on Sale Now: www.showtix4u.com • Parkland Prom 5/4/24 @ SteelStacks
The Student News Site of Parkland High School

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

The Wonderful Language of Sign

ASL 4 voted as winner of door panel contest

Every year during World Language Week, dozens of classes throughout the school celebrate the diverse languages and cultures of its students through designating door panels. Among all of the participating classes, three panels stood above the rest. 

In third place was Señora Lentz’s “Love is the Universal Language”. This poster, constructed by Abby Severo, Kate Attieh, and Aubrey Wilson, features a collage of several world flags. In the center of the door is a globe surrounded by a black hand and a white hand forming a heart shape. This poster racked up 19.7% of the vote.

NSHS

Coming in second place was Señora Woomer’s “We all look up to the same stars”. This poster, crafted by Gabby Gavirati, Sarah Pangare, Ella Amadio, and Jane Lovell, has stars with the flag colors of several nations, with a group of people standing on the surface of Earth looking up from below. This poster garnered 21.3% of the votes.

The door panel contest winner was Mrs. Garvin’s “There’s No Language Like Sign Language”. This poster, created by David Anderson, Christina Lawlor, Emma Cressman, Logan Flamisch, Hannah Hilliker, Kaida Heintzelman,  Cole Hovan, Jessica Kent, Ainsley Lovell, Aylah Marriotti, Helena Mercatili, Oli Preston, Sophia Sciarrino, and Vanessa Stauffer, features WIzard of Oz characters walking on a golden path towards Emerald City. This poster won 42.6% of the votes, doubling the percentage of second place. 

(NSHS)

“The door was created by the whole class, and we are all seniors,” reflects Vanessa Stauffer (12).  “We have all been on the journey of high school just like Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz. We worked very hard and everyone in the class contributed to the door in one way or another, so we were very excited when we found out that our door won first place.”

The Trumpet would like to congratulate Mrs. Garvin’s class for winning this year’s door panel contest. However, we are all anxiously awaiting to see what creative designs the students come up with next year.