• Class of 2027 Apparel Sale Happening Now • SpongeBob Musical Tickets on Sale Now: www.showtix4u.com • Parkland Prom 5/4/24 @ SteelStacks
The Student News Site of Parkland High School

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

School calendar change beginning next year

The official 2024-2025 calendar, approved by the school board and found on the Parkland School District website.

The newest school calendar for the 2024-2025 school year was recently approved by the school board. This calendar brings along a new day off for the students and a larger winter break than has been seen in a very long time. 

Before getting into the new year calendar, the last days of school for this current year have officially been approved. The last day of school for the district will fall on Friday, June 4th. Final exams for Parkland High School will take place the whole week prior, so make sure to check in with your teachers to find out which ones will be giving exams and when. For seniors, the last day will land two weeks earlier, on Friday, May 24th with final exams also being the same week. For more information on last days and finals head to the Parkland High School schoology page or contact Mrs. Bennick. 

Moving on to the newest year, a new day off has been added to the calendar. A professional development day will be put in on March 31st to allow students to celebrate Eid al-Fitr, an Islamic holiday that marks the end of Ramadan. This change will give students an extra day to celebrate the important holiday. 

The final modification to next year’s calendar is not really a change at all, just a few lucky days falling into perfect place. Winter break for the 2024-25 school year will last a whopping 16 days, making it one of the longest breaks for Parkland students in many years. Beginning on December 21st and ending on January 5th this large vacation will surely leave all students and teachers fully refreshed to start the second half of the school year. However, don’t get too excited for future years, because this is not the new normal. Winter vacation only happens to be this long because Christmas and New Year’s Day fall onto perfectly aligned dates, leaving only a day or two until the weekend. The two holidays might not land on these dates for at least another six years, so don’t get used to it!

With all the new updates it’s easy to begin looking forward to the last day, or the start of next year. Even with the end slowly creeping into sight, continue with your hard work and perseverance all the way up until the end of the year!