• Class of 2027 Apparel Sale Happening Now • SpongeBob Musical Tickets on Sale Now: www.showtix4u.com • Parkland Prom 5/4/24 @ SteelStacks
The Student News Site of Parkland High School

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

The Year in Review

Our+Mascot%2C+The+Trojan%2C+celebrating+at+the+Pep+Rally+for+the+Boys+Basketball+team.+
Parkey
Our Mascot, The Trojan, celebrating at the Pep Rally for the Boys Basketball team.

The 2023-2024 school year was certainly one for the books. It was a unique year that brought the students its challenges as well as its benefits. But what made this year so special? 

Short School Days 

This year, students were able to get out of class without having to skip. Multiple “flood warnings” got students out around midday, a weather phenomenon many couldn’t remember from previous years. President Biden also visited the Lehigh Valley, letting the students out to get ahead of the traffic. Not to mention the power outage from back in the fall, which didn’t even let the day get started before ushering everyone home. 

Walking Outside 

This year, Principal Davidson announced seemingly randomly one day that students would be allowed to walk outside to get to and from classes. This was a nice break in the day that allowed for fresh air and quicker trips to classes from across the school. This privilege was tested out in order to prepare the underclassmen for the possibility of being able to travel to and from classes outside next year. Many were enjoying the chance to bask in the sun, and continued encouragement from Principal Davidson is an indicator that soon this way of traveling might become the norm for Parkland High Schoolers. 

Packed Mr.Parkland 

Mr.Parkland was the main event of the year, and everyone seemed to be in it. There were 20 contents this year, much more than last years 10. There were two pairs of seniors who decided to take on their acts together. The audience saw puppetry, comedy-magic, guitar skills, dancing, and singing. It was a nail-biting competition, with the coveted belt and grand price of $1,000 of scholarship money being anyone’s game. The auditorium was packed full of friends, family, and supportive teachers, ready to cheer on the contestants. Dennis Marube’s win came as no shock, as his impeccable dancing abilities and his charm left a visible impression in the judges eyes. 

Pep Rally 

The Boy’s Basketball Team made history this year by making it to the state finals. The last time this happened in the Valley was when Nick Coval’s dad was playing, and his son is now continuing his legacy. In celebration, the school held a pep rally in the main gym, where the whole school packed into the bleachers to wish the boys good luck. The cheerleading team, step team, and the Mr.Parkland crew all gave performances. 

Eclipse

The eclipse also marked a cosmic milestone unto the 2023-2024 school year. For the first time since 2017, a total eclipse would be visible over America, and luckily for Parkland, Pennsylvania was in the 99% totality. The next eclipse is scheduled for 2044, when the students will all be much older and living completely different lives than they are today. This event was a great way for the graduation class to mark their time here, and to reflect on what’s to come. 2044 seems very far – but time has a way of sneaking up on people. The eclipse taught the students to cherish their time before entering the ‘real world’, making their last few weeks as ‘kids’ even more memorable. 

This year is definitely one for the history books. Hopefully the students, especially the graduating seniors, will look back on this year fondly and appreciate all the unique things it had to offer.