Parkland students representing Olaf, Sven, Elsa, Anna, and Kristoff.
Parkland student’s representing Olaf, Sven, Elsa, Anna, and Kristoff.
FRANK_MITMAN_DPI

Let go of all your winter worries with Frozen JR.

Parkland Production’s children’s show was a must-see!

Parkland’s rendition of Frozen JR. took to the stage for its debut showing on November 16th. The audience was filled with second graders from the district, who all had the special privilege of watching the performance come to life. This production of the classic Hans Christian Andersen tale turned Disney phenomenon was a chilling spectacle deserving of all the attention.

Before the show even began, the audience was transported to the kingdom of Arendelle through the stunning set design. The intricate patterns and cool-toned hues of the castle, the icy scape of the wilderness, and the art deco design of Elsa’s frozen palace all came together beautifully on stage. No details were wasted – the hard work of the lighting, costume, set, and sound departments all cultivated into a technical masterpiece. This is thanks to Parkland’s multi-talented crew, including (but not limited to): Stage Manager Sophie Wager, Lighting Designers Quinten Berryman and Delaney Goslin, Costume Department Members Evie Appnel, Nora DeWein, Sara Holland, Jordan Kerschner, Andrea Knapp, Sara Lundberg, Cassidy Mondschein, and Rachel Rippke, Scenic Artists Theresa Kollar and Ainsley Lovell, and Sound Designers Arlo Guzman and Jocelyn Paisi.

The plot of the musical took elements from the 2013 Disney classic and twisted them on its head. With new musical numbers such as “Let the Sun Shine On” and “A Little Bit of You,” even the most die-hard fans have new elements of the story to look forward to. Some plot points from the 2019 sequel also snuck their way in, like the real reason behind the King and Queen’s fatal journey, as well as the native people of Arendelle who roam the enchanted forest.
The actors themselves did an amazing job of bringing the story to life. Emma Hartzell (9), who played adult Anna, was a highlight of the show. Her sing-songy speech and bubbly stage presence really captured the energy of the beloved character. And of course, her sister, Elsa, played by Sierra Docherty (9), also gave the audience a memorable performance. Her rendition of the infamous “Let It Go” was a testament to the strength of her voice and character. And we can’t forget the younger versions of the pair, played by Lila McConnell (9) and Leeya Pinto (10). Their sibling chemistry and childlike wonder made the heartbreak of their eventual separation even more poignant.

Supporting characters like Hans, Kristoff, and Olaf stole the show in their own way. The talking snowman, played by Madelyn Haupt (9), was a crowd favorite among the elementary schoolers, with the number “In Summer” garnering lots of laughs and enjoyment. As for the love interests, Jordan Silver (9) expertly portrayed the cunning attitude of Hans, and Kensi Christman’s sarcastic aura was perfect for everyone’s favorite ice-harvester Kristoff. An underrated performance, in The Trumpet’s opinion, was Anthony Cacioppo-Fisher (9) as The Duke of Weselton and Olkin. His stage presence and comedic timing for both flamboyant and eccentric characters was definitely a stand-out moment in the show.

The ensemble also deserves a special shoutout of their own. This group was made up of many future Broadway stars—including Teddy Anderson, Kylie Faught, Adam O’Donnell, Hakeem Qayyum, Julia Rippke, Zoey Shimon, Lennie Vargas, and Jia Santavicca. In every scene, these actors filled the stage with so much life and vibrance, especially in the performances for “Fixer Upper” and “Hygge.” Their tap dancing, may-pole frolicking, and icey reenactment create an energy on stage that leaves you wanting more of the magical tale.

The second graders in the audience had a lot of favorite moments. Big laughs erupted whenever Olaf behaved like—well, Olaf. The kids especially had a fit when Prince Hans was dramatically (stage) slapped for his cold betrayal by Princess Anna. Chloe, a young second-grader from Cetronia Elementary, said her favorite moments of the show were when “Elsa uses her powers.” No one can blame her—the lighting shift, ice dancers (who were representing the magic), and fake snow falling down from the wings to the audience made the striking moment an even more ice-to-the-heart experience.

In The Trumpet’s opinion, Frozen JR is a five-star rendition of a beloved classic. Audiences young and old loved both the technical and theatrical elements of the story. The actors and crew alike brought their best to ensure the icy tale will continue to inspire, uplift, and melt the hearts of the next generation.

This article was previously published in our December print edition.