Spring Sports Senior Night Recap: One Last Run

Girls lax in a huddle before the Parkland v. Nazareth game

The last hurrah for Parkland Seniors can be quite emotional. Senior Night is a way to honor those student-athletes who have unprecedentedly dedicated their time to a school sport. On this night, players get to walk the field or have a party to celebrate their accomplishments in high school. Although Senior Night is not necessarily the last game of the season, it may feel like it as players gather like a family during this event. 

The Trumpet staff had the opportunity to speak with some players from a few spring sports about their Senior Night and what activities went on to commemorate the students.

Jake Hurd mid-action during the Parkland v. Northwestern game

Jake Hurd

Q: What sport do you play and what were the senior night activities?

A: I play lacrosse and the senior night included walking down midfield with my parents beside me as the announcer announced my future plans and my favorite moments of high school lacrosse.

Q: What do you have to say about playing your last year at Parkland athletics?

A: I would say it’s definitely been a journey. I got to play with a ton of really good lacrosse players, my freshman year and then had Covid take away my sophomore year. Junior year was a good but disappointing year. So far, my senior year has been really good and now we are entering the final week of the regular season with hopes to go far in the playoffs.

Q: Who would you like to thank in your years at Parkland and in sports?

A: I would like to thank my parents and sisters for being there for me every step of the way all the way since I started playing lacrosse when I was 7 or 8 years old. All of my coaches from my youth lacrosse years and my high school coaches.

Reagan Kinney, class of 2022

Reagan Kinney

Q: What sport do you play and what were the Senior Night activities?

A: I played soccer and ran track during my time at Parkland High School. For both these sports, we had a senior night. Specifically for soccer, we walked across the fields with our parents and teammates, and gave us and our mothers flowers. We then had a slideshow that Frank Mitman put together of pictures of all the seniors throughout our childhood. The seniors were given a team picture in which the whole team signed and a coffee mug. For track, because of the size of the sport, all seniors were announced and given a t-shirt on senior night.

Q: What do you have to say about playing your last year at Parkland Athletics?

A: My last year participating in Parkland Athletics is one that I will cherish for many years to come. I won’t necessarily remember the games or practices, but I have made my best friends playing sports at Parkland and am so grateful for that. Also, this year I felt more than any other year, was one in which team bonding was so important. There was so much taken from all of us these past two years so the ability to be with my teammates and celebrate our wins and deal with our losses is something I am so grateful to finally be able to experience again.

A: I would like to thank my coaches, coach Al, coach Bus, Coach Ott, and coach Finley. These four years at Parkland High School have helped me grow so much as a person. They continued to celebrate my successes. They also helped me understand when I needed help and when to ask for it. They taught me by knowing when to let me figure out my failures.

Kaz Kennedy in a face-off during the Parkland v. Nazareth game

Kaz Kennedy

A: I play lacrosse. For Senior Night we have escorted by our parents down midfield and presented with flowers. The underclassmen also decorated our cars and houses.

A: I have been a part of Parkland athletics for basically my entire sports career. From recreation leagues to varsity high school sports. It’s given me a lifetime of friends and taught me the importance of teamwork, determination, and perseverance.

A: In my years at Parkland, I would like to thank coach Kristen Yudt and Wes Spence, the first Parkland coaches that I made connections with. Also, former Girl’s Lacrosse coach Dawn Cipolla taught me that anything is possible. Lastly, I would like to thank Mrs. Munson because she somehow made me enjoy Chemistry and is one of the smartest people I’ve ever met.

Cassidey Sweeney making a run for home base

Cassidy Sweeney

A: I play softball and we were escorted onto the field with our family and got our position announced, where we were attending college, and what we were majoring in. After the game, the underclassmen all had a speech for each senior and we were gifted jackets for where we were going to college.

A: Parkland Athletics is one of a kind. The elite competition and knowledgeable mentors allowed me to grow so much as an athlete. Being a Parkland athlete truly strengthened my mental and physical game and I couldn’t be more grateful to play my last season here.

A: I would like to thank my coaches for always pushing me to help me reach my fullest potential. I would also like to thank my teachers who would put in extra effort to be flexible with my schedule and continuously show their care and support.

Congratulations to all the Seniors who participated in sports throughout high school. Parkland hopes that these Seniors will remember this time for the rest of their lives.