Five Trojans receive first-team All-State honors.

Parkland Girls Volleyball phenom, Maggie Smith, has achieved many awards and accolades, but most recently she was named Max Preps Pennsylvania Girls Volleyball Player of the Year.
JJ Horvath

After every sports season, there is a list released of the best athletes from each position in Pennsylvania. Receiving first-team All-State honors is an incredible accomplishment that a majority of high school athletes dream of achieving. This fall there were five Parkland athletes who earned this honor in their respective sports. 

Maggie Smith and Alli Reimer 

Two Parkland Girls Volleyball standouts, Alli Reimer and Maggie Smith, both received first-team all-state honors. This duo, along with many other talented players, led the team all the way to the PIAA 4A state semi-finals. 

Reimer is an outside hitter who recorded more than 400 kills and 175 digs across all competitions this year for Parkland.  Reimer said, “I wanted to focus on achieving goals as a team and with my teammates. Nothing I have achieved would be possible without them and our coaches. I simply wanted to do my best for the girls next to me.” Although she was focused on team-oriented goals, her personal success was acknowledged with being awarded Morning Call Athlete of the Week for Week 10 and EPC MVP. 

The spotlight wasn’t just shining bright on Reimer. Maggie Smith has been dominating since her sophomore year at Parkland. Her 1,115 assists were the highest in Pennsylvania for the third straight year. The setter finished with 3,306 career assists. Making her the second player in Parkland history to surpass 3,000 career assists. The list of accomplishments goes on as she was also named first-team all-EPC, District 11 MVP, and MaxPreps Pennsylvania girls volleyball player of the year. Smith even got national recognition and she was named American Volleyball Coaches Association Region 2 honoree third-team All-American. Smith was the only player chosen from Pennsylvania.  She stated, “When you start sports when you’re younger, everyone is at the same level because you’re just trying it, but as you grow what makes you stand out is your work ethic, believing in yourself, and knowing it’s your journey, not anyone else’s. You’re going to fail, but the ones who win aren’t the ones who stay on the ground after falling, they’re the ones who get back up, dust themselves off, and try again.” Both of these athletes’ work ethics have transformed them into extraordinary players and leaders. 

This pair feeds off each other to rise to new levels of success. “We’ve not only pushed each other to get better but we’ve always been the first to congratulate each other when one of us accomplishes a goal or milestone. Us being able to push each other to the limits while also being there for each other has made us a powerful duo and the reason we connect so well on the court,” stated Smith. This impactful duo exemplifies the incredibly strong bond that the girl’s volleyball program holds. Reimer remarked, “I truly think the team this year was so special and we shared a bond that I have never felt with any other team I have been on. In such a team-oriented sport, you have to be willing to put the team before yourself and this is something that can tear a team apart if one person is only focused on themself and their performance.” 

They will continue to work relentlessly at the collegiate level in sports and academics. Smith will be attending Loyola University Maryland and Reimer will be close to home at DeSales University.  

Ellie Kocher 

Any athlete who receives first-team All-State status is special. However, what makes Parkland Girls Soccer player Ellie Kocher unique is she acquired this honor as a sophomore. Kocher started as a freshman and exceeded expectations by scoring 15 goals and also passing an assist. Though she scored two fewer goals this season, the forward became more dangerous on the field by spreading the ball and recording five assists.  

She acknowledged,  “Soccer is a team sport where every member contributes to the success of the team.” This mindset brought the program to the PIAA 4A State Semi-finals. Kocher’s phenomenal talents were recognized with Morning Call All-Area First-Team and EPC First-Team All-Star. “What motivates me most is being on the soccer field and having the privilege to play the sport I love with my awesome teammates,” she admitted. Kocher isn’t driven by the accolades, but rather her love for the game. It is thrilling to think about what the future holds for the spectacular sophomore. 

Luke Blenis 

In soccer a defender’s job is to do whatever it takes to prevent the other team from scoring a goal. Despite the importance of this key role on the field, there’s no real stats to measure how valuable a defender is to his team. Instead, they are judged by their leadership, grit, intensity, and their ability to make plays and prevent goals. Parkland Boys Soccer player, Luke Blenis, possesses all these attributes which is why he not only earned first-team All-Star status, but also Morning Call athlete of the week for Week 12, Morning Call All-Area Team, Lehigh Valley Live First-Team All-area, and EPC First-team All-Star. 

Blenis admitted, “At the beginning of the season, I did not think of this as a goal. However, after working so hard this season, it felt very rewarding.” He concentrated on being an incredible leader on and off the field to ensure success for his team. Blenis even managed to score three goals, despite being on defense. “Advice I would give to younger teammates would be to enjoy the time you have with the team while you can because when it’s over you really miss it.” When you give all you have to a program like Blenis has, it’s difficult to say goodbye. 

He will be continuing his academic and athletic career at Muhlenberg College and is hoping to showcase his tenacity on the field there too.

Trey Tremba

Parkland’s football team contains numerous talented leaders who led to winning the EPC title and falling just short of the District 11 crown. However, sometimes it was hard not to notice Trey Tremba, who seemed to never step off the field. Tremba earned first-team Running Back for the second time, EPC Offensive MVP, EPC Special Teams MVP, and EPC first-team linebacker. He stated, “It’s always been a goal of mine to become first-team all-state. But I didn’t make it my priority, I just tried to help my team win.” He helped the team by rushing for 1,842 yards and an additional 407 receiving yards. 

Opposing defenses found a hard time preventing the two-time scoring leader from staying out of the endzone. Tremba led the EPC with 26 touchdowns last year and 30 touchdowns this season. He emphasized, “To stand out from other people you have to be willing to make sacrifices to achieve your goals. You can’t give an average effort and expect above-average results.” Tremba will take his tireless work ethic and leadership skills to the United States Military Academy at West Point to serve his country and play football.  

Congratulations to all of these athletes on their remarkable season and receiving first-team All-State honors!

This article previously ran in the February print edition.